After a heavy snowstorm, your roof can have accumulated just as much snow as the ground below it. If there is quite a bit and you ae concerned and want it removed, for safety reasons alone, we strongly suggest having a professional roofing contractor come out to your home and take care of it for you. However, if you feel that is unnecessary and want to attempt it by yourself, here are the most important things to AVOID when removing snow from your roof:
- Do not us any kind of rock salt. It will damage your roof.
- Always have a “spotter” with you, they can seek help if something goes wrong.
- Pay close attention to where the snow lands! Snow is heavy and can cause damage to things it is dropped on.
- Do not “pile” the snow into one place on the roof. Again, snow is heavy and cause any weak spot on your roof further damage.
- Do not use metal shovels. They will not only remove the snow, but the shingles underneath them.
Roofing contractors are trained to safely perform tasks such as removing snow from your roof and they have been trainind and are equipped with the correct tools to get the job done safely-for both you and your roof!